Wednesday, October 1, 2008





I have been wanting to try painting from life... to see what happens. So today my friend Janelle came over and modeled for me. The bottom image of the woman in front of the blue buildings is also Janelle which I painted almost two years ago. During the time Janelle sat for me today I spent so much of my time erasing! It was insane as I tried to take some features while making the others the way I wanted. I have gone to drawing sessions with my artist friends who happen to be amazing portrait artists and they make fun of me... how I move the eyes apart and add length to the neck, etc. Honestly, being someone who has already been down the road of trying to paint a realistic representation I have found that it is not the thing that makes me tick as an artist. It was both frustrating but very exciting to paint from life. I think Janelle is beautiful and learned a lot as I observed the colors in her skin, eyes, nose, and lips! Janelle, thanks for sharing some of your time with me!

1 comment:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Your work is incredible and amazing and I really want to own a piece.

PS Hopped over here from Roadside scholar.